A whole new EASY way to save and have your account managed for you!

Find out what your IRA is costing you.

And see how much you can save.

FREE - IRA Fee Checker

Invest like a Pro

Professional management, personalized to your goals, with automatic rebalancing, at a lower cost than most financial advisors.

We are different

NO hidden fees. No hidden agenda. Ease-of-use. Once you open an account, you get free access to investment advice for your other retirement accounts, with step-by-step help.

Improve your world

Unlike other IRA providers, we take a whole household planning approach. And build risk-appropriate portfolios with low cost funds.

GuidedIRA - a professional, managed account for all

  • $4.70/year*
    • Fully managed account, with rebalancing (25 bps**)
    • Secure third-party administration of funds (22 bps**)
    • Low cost investment options in portfolio (12-27 bps**)
    • *per $1,000 in your account
    • **bps stands for ‘basis points’, which equal 1/100 of a percent. 100 basis points would be 1% of the value of your account. Our IRA fees total 59-74 bps/year.
    • Investment fees based on prospectus net expense ratios per Morningstar, June 2015.
    • Note: There is an annual fee of $50 for account balances under $50,000.

Everyone knows expert advice can help your savings grow faster. But not everyone wants to pay hefty fees.


GuidedIRA takes everything we’ve learned by serving the world’s leading retirement plans for more than a decade and makes it more accessible. Whether you’re moving your money from a former employer’s plan, upgrading your current IRA, or starting from scratch, now you can get all the advantages of professional management.

What information do I need prior to opening an account with GuidedChoice?

All you need is about 5 minutes of time and an e-mail address to open an account with GuidedChoiceIRA. If you are selecting beneficiaries, it is helpful to have Social Security or Tax ID numbers available. If you don’t know a number, just enter ‘9’ nine times (999999999) in the required field.

Do I need any specific software to utilize GuidedChoiceIRA?

You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader and Java loaded on your computer. If you don’t already have those programs, click on the following links to download them. Both are free to download and install and come from trusted sources.

I am having technical difficulties or need help opening my account, what should I do?

Please call us at 1-888-990-2751 or send an e-mail to [email protected] and someone will help you with those problems. If you are e-mailing, be sure to provide a phone number for us to use in contacting you.

Can you help me make investment selections?

Once your account has been funded, GuidedChoice will select your initial investments based on what we know about you. Logging into your account and clicking the “Manage Investments” tab, you can provide as much or as little additional detail about other household retirement assets – including current and previous employer retirement plans. From here, GuidedChoice will tailor your IRA investment strategy to help you meet your specific retirement goals.

What is an Individual Retirement Account (IRA)?

An Individual Retirement Account (IRA) is a personal tax-deferred retirement plan. It was developed to provide individuals with the opportunity to build their own tax-deferred retirement savings program.

Who may establish a Traditional IRA?

You may establish an IRA if you have compensation or earned income from employment or if you are divorced or separated and you receive taxable alimony or maintenance payments and have not attained age 70 ½. However, Rollover IRAs may be established by individuals over age 70 ½. If you are married, and both you and your spouse work, you can both establish an IRA. If only one of you works, or you both work and one of you receives minimal compensation and you file a joint Federal tax return, you can establish spousal IRAs for both of you.

How much can I contribute to an IRA?

You may contribute to an IRA, or, if you are eligible for a Roth IRA, any amount up to the $5,500 (for 2013) or 100% of your compensation if less than $5,500. If you and your spouse file a joint income tax return and your spouse has little or no income, you can contribute a total of $13,000 to separate IRAs established for you and your spouse. Additionally, a Catch-Up contribution of an additional $1,000 in 2013 can be made if you are age 50 or older in the contribution year.

How do I determine if my IRA contribution is deductible?

  • If neither you nor your spouse are active participants in an Employer Retirement Plan, you may deduct your entire IRA contribution.
  • If you or your spouse are active participants but have an adjusted gross income (MAGI) below the threshold amount for 2013 (see Q-6), your contribution is fully-deductible.
  • If you and your spouse are active participants in an Employer Retirement Plan and your combined MAGI is above the threshold amount, your deductible contribution to an IRA is partial or not deductible using a Phase-Out method.
  • If your spouse is an active participant but you are not, you may fully deduct your annual IRA contribution if you file jointly and your MAGI does not exceed $178,000 (your ability to deduct your IRA contribution will be phased out ratably if your MAGI exceeds $178,000 but doesn’t exceed $188,000).
  • You may not deduct IRA contributions if your joint MAGI is $188,000 or more.


How much can I deduct if I am an active participant in a qualified plan?

If you are an active participant in an Employer Retirement Plan, your ability to make a deductible IRA contribution will be reduced or eliminated if the modified adjusted gross income (MAGI) on your Federal income tax return exceeds certain MAGI limits. The lowest such limit is known as the threshold amount. If your MAGI equals or exceeds the threshold amount, you may not deduct the maximum contribution ($5,000).

If Your MAGI equals or exceeds the higher limit known as the Phase-out Amount, you may not make a deductible IRA contribution for the year (though you may still make a non-deductible IRA contribution). If your MAGI falls between the threshold dollar amount and the phase-out amount, your maximum deductible IRA contribution is reduced ratably. The MAGI limits vary depending upon the tax year and your Federal filing status. See the chart below for more guidance.

Filing Status Taxable Year Threshold Amount Phase-Out Amount
Married, filing a joint federal
tax return with a spouse
Single, filing a federal tax return
using any non-married status
Spouse is an active participant 2013
Less than $10,000 for a married individual filing a separate return.

Who is considered an active participant in a Retirement Plan?

  • You are an active participant in an Employer Retirement Plan for a calendar year if your employer or union has a Retirement Plan under which contributions are made to your account or you are eligible to earn retirement credits. Your W-2 Form for the year should indicate your participation status.
  • You are an active participant for a year even if you are not yet vested in your retirement benefit, or, if you make required contributions or voluntary employee contributions to an Employer Retirement Plan.
  • You are not considered an active participant if you are covered by a plan only because of your service as:
    (a) An Armed Forces Reservist, for less than 90 days of active service, or
    (b) A volunteer fire fighter covered for firefighting service by a government plan. If you are covered in any other plan these exceptions do not apply.


When can I contribute to an IRA?

You may make contributions at any time during a calendar year, up to the tax filing deadline for said year without extensions. Deductibility of contributions will be determined when you complete your tax return. You may withdraw an IRA contribution made for a year anytime before April 15 of the following year.

If you do so, you must also withdraw the earnings attributable to that portion and report the earnings as income for the year for which the contribution was made. If some portion of your contribution is not deductible, you may decide either to withdraw the non-deductible amount or to leave it in the IRA and designate that portion as a non-deductible contribution on your tax return.

What is a rollover from a qualified plan?

You can transfer or rollover your interest in a qualified Employer Retirement Plan to an IRA with similar tax implications (deductible and non-deductible).

What are the rules regarding rollover contributions to an IRA?

You may make a rollover contribution to your IRA provided that you make an irrevocable election to do so at any time but only if your rollover contribution consists solely of a distribution of taxable amounts from a Retirement Plan or IRA. Only IRA accounts that are treated similarly for tax purposes can be rolled over to another like account. For example: Traditional can be rolled to Traditional, SIMPLE (after 2 years) can be rolled to a Traditional without penalty, SEP can be rolled to Traditional, and Roth can be rolled to Roth.

(a) the Rollover is completed no later than 60 days after you receive the distribution,
(b) consists only of cash or property (of a nature and form acceptable to the Trustee) received in the distribution or the cash proceeds of the sale of property received from a Retirement Plan other than an IRA;
(c) does not include any Required Minimum Distribution amount; or
(d) if the rollover comes from an IRA which no distribution received by you from the same IRA within the 12 month period ending on the day the most recent distribution was rolled over to another IRA or Employer Retirement Plan.

For purposes of applying this 1-year rule, rollovers or conversions of an IRA to a Roth IRA and rollovers of distributions which fail to be Qualified First-time Homebuyer Distributions solely by reason of the delay or cancellation of the purchase or construction of a Principal Residence are not taken into account and are not themselves subject to the 1-year rule.

What are the Federal income tax consequences of a rollover?

If you choose to make a direct rollover of all or any portion of your payment that can be rolled over, you will not be taxed on any portion of your payment until you later take it out of the Traditional Rollover IRA or qualified Employer Retirement Plan. In addition, no income tax withholding is required for any portion of your distribution for which you choose a direct rollover.

If you choose an indirect rollover from a retirement program, your payment can be rolled over. However, if the payment is made directly to you in cash, it will be subject to mandatory 20% income tax withholding. The payment is taxed in the year you receive it unless, within 60 days, you roll it over to a Traditional or Roth IRA or to another qualified Employer Retirement Plan that accepts rollovers. If you decide to roll over the payment, you must contribute all or some of the amount you received to a Traditional or Roth IRA or to another qualified Employer Retirement Plan within 60 days after you receive the payment. If you wish to roll over 100% of the payment (so that the entire payment will be tax-deferred) you must find other money within the 60-day period to contribute to the IRA or the qualified Retirement Plan to replace the 20% that was withheld.

What are my investment options?

Based on what we know about you, GuidedChoice will create your personalized investment strategy. To view the investments that make up your account, log into your GuidedChoiceIRA account today.

Is there a minimum distribution required by law?

With respect to any tax year, beginning with the year during which you reach age 70 ½, you are required to begin to receive yearly distributions from your IRA not less than an amount calculated to pay out your IRA over your life expectancy or the joint life and last survivor expectancy of you and your beneficiary who is ten years younger. The appropriate factors for determining the minimum payment required are published by the Internal Revenue Service in Publication 590. Once your life expectancy and, if applicable, that of your beneficiary has been determined for your first distribution year, subsequent minimum distributions may be determined by either reducing the previous life expectancy by one-year or by recalculating the life expectancy. If you receive less than the minimum amount required by law, a 50% excise tax, payable by you, may be levied against the amount by which your actual distribution, during a tax year, is deficient. This excise tax is not tax deductible.

When you are in RMD status and have an account with GuidedChoiceIRA, you will be notified each year of the need to take an RMD and the amount required. You will still have to elect to take the RMD online or by contacting our client service representatives because if you have other retirement accounts, the RMD amount required may come out of a non-GuidedChoiceIRA account.

You are never required by law to take distributions from a Roth IRA, until the year following the IRA owner’s death.

What if my question is not addressed here?

More FAQs are available at GuidedChoiceIRA. Or you can contact Customer Support at 1-800-774-7459

Get In Touch

Corporate Headquarters

8910 University Center Lane, Suite 400
San Diego, CA 92122
[email protected]

Customer Support

[email protected]

Business Partner Inquiries

1-888-675-4532 x 103
[email protected]